Grand Cane High School, incorporated in 1883, was the first accredited high school in the State of Louisiana. The school has had four different buildings, with the last one constructed in 1925.
A significant feature of this historic building is a stage and large auditorium seating 300 and a balcony seating 60. The community and school enjoyed a mutually beneficial relationship, with Grand Cane residents turning out for all school events. The stage entertained its audience with a long tradition of plays, recitations and musical performances. "The Windmills of Holland", an operetta in two acts performed in 1914, is typical of what the school shared with the community.
An article in The Shreveport Times, dated May 28, 1967, stated, "After 82 years, the flags at Grand Cane School were hauled down for the last time and the oldest school in the state closed its doors forever. Children closed their books and the rooms stand silent." This announcement of the school's demise was premature.
In the summer of 1967, community residents organized the Central School Corporation as a private school, and in August 1967, the school opened with twenty-six students. The Corporation leased Grand Cane High School. Recently, the school has changed its name to Central Christian Academy, but the values and the commitment haven't changed.
Today students sit in the classrooms of the building constructed in 1925. The auditorium remains in mint condition, with wooden seats, hardwood flooring, and vintage ceiling and lighting. The Village Theater has partnered with Central Christian Academy to once again bring quality plays and musical performances to the surrounding area.